- 8 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles broken into thirds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound hot italian sausage removed from the casing
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium-sized head of curly green kale stems removed and leaves chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 24 ounces of your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 to 6 ounces freshly grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs like basil or oregano, for topping
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare water for pasta and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, you want to cook the noodles just for about 5 to 6 minutes, then drain them.
- While waiting for the pasta to boil, heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the sausage with the basil, oregano, salt and pepperand use a wooden spoon to crumble it up and break it apart. Cook until the sausage has browned. Add in the kale and the garlic, gently tossing. Cook until the kale has wilted, stirring often, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- At this point your water should be boiling, so make sure to toss the broken noodles in and cook them for about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the marinara into the sausage and kale and stir well. Turn off the heat. Stir in about 1/3 cup of the grated mozza/provolone cheese. Add in the broken noodles, using a spatula or spoon to fold the sauce mixture over the noodles. One the noodles are evenly distributed and mostly under the sauce, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and add the ricotta on top in scoops.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove and sprinkle with the extra herbs and parmesan cheese.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?