1 lb asparagus
1 lb fettuccine
2 zucchini, quartered and sliced and sautéed in oil or butter
1 lb ricotta cheese
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives, or green onions
(can substitute sautéed onion; cook w/ zucchini)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Begin heating a large pot of salted water.
2. Cut asparagus into 1 ½ inch lengths, discarding the bottom inch if it is woody.
3. When the water comes to a boil, add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Using a skimmer or slotted spoon, remove the asparagus and transfer to a bowl. Cover and keep warm.
4. Cook the fettuccine in the water until al dente. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté the zucchini and onion. Remove ½ cup of the cooking water. Drain the fettuccine and return to the pot along with the asparagus.
5. Add the sautéed zucchini, ricotta and Parmesan, and chives. Toss well adding the reserved cooking water as needed to make a creamy sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Serve hot, passing additional Parmesan at the table.