> Homemade Country Rhubarb Sauce
- 8 c rhubarb, cut-up
- 2 c strawberries, hulled and sliced
- *1 c raspberries
- 2 c sugar
- (2) 3 oz. boxes of red gelatin (strawberry or raspberry flavored)
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1 c water
- 2 TBSP grated orange zest
- *1/4 tsp nutmeg
- *1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 TSBP corn starch
- * = optional
- In a large pot mix together all ingrediants except rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries. Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Add rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries, stir to combine. Bring to boil, stirring, turn down heat and simmer until rhubarb is tender ( about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes).
- Sweeten more to your taste if you prefer.
- Serve warm or chilled over ice cream. Serve plain or with milk and cream added. Use rhubarb sauce as a topping for oatmeal, icecream, pancakes, waffles and more or enjoy by itself.
- **Mix up the recipe with whatever fruit is in season. Recipe works well with blackberries, blueberries, pineapple (fresh or canned).
- Store in fridge for up to a month, or freeze for up to 6 months and use later.
November 1, 2018
I make this to put on pancakes. great alternative to the sugary syrups.Its great with any mixture of fruits with the rhubarb .